0x10c Forum|Site Info
Page
of 11

Current status of Dcpu development tools?

102 replies
4705 posts
+1643 stars
Untagged users
Jaxrtech wrote:
I think another important thing to consider about the emulator other then the lexing and parsing and stuff it extensibility. I am actually writing compiler for a new language to the DCPU and really there is almost no point in having to write another emulator IDE sort of thing for it. That essentially would be trying to rewrite what you are doing right now and is a waste of time. Since Herobrine, you are just writing it using Eclipse, I'm sure you could have some sort of plugin API system or something. The only thing that it would really need to have a source to assembly mapping for debugging, fancy syntax highlighting, and the actual compiler to integrate with it. Of course, my compiler itself is in the very early stages, but I think some other people would also like it to be extensible to allow other things to be added onto it versus have to rewrite the whole thing again. Probably something to consider later on, but I find it better to write a plugin for an emulator IDE system then to rewrite the entire thing all over again.
In theory, this will be immediately supported. In practice, it will be a little more involved, at least initially. DevCPU, from its first release will be available in two forms:
  • RCP application
  • Eclipse plugin
In its Eclipse plugin form, DevCPU contributes views, menu options, an editor, a filetype, and some other things to an existing Eclipse installation, giving you all of DevCPU's functionality in the Eclipse that you use for Java or other development. If you made your own builder for another language, the worst case scenario would be having to right-click on a binary it produced in your workspace and select "Write to DCPU...". If it builds to DCPU-16 assembly language, then you'd right click on the produced dasm file in your workspace and select "Assemble to DCPU..." (or at least, that's how it works now; I'm about to work on integrating with Eclipse's build/launch system, which will likely change the ways you assemble code to a DCPU's RAM).
It might be a little more difficult to integrate your plugin with the application version, but the plan has always been to work toward increasing extensibility, so that will get easier over time, after I've added extension points specifically for facilitating that kind of extensibility.
.Png
Posted Mar 11, 13 · Last edited Mar 11, 13 by Herobrine
0  stars
4705 posts
+1643 stars
Untagged users
By the way, I often feel like updating the status of things, but don't want to spam this thread and I'm not ready to make a thread for DevCPU until I'm about to release it (which will be soon enough, I suppose), but in the meantime, here's a link to a page that is updated daily-ish on the development status of DevCPU:

Note: The download links won't work until I make the repository public....probably. Anyway, they'll be replaced by a different set of download links when I release. One for Mac OS X, one for Linux, one for Solaris, one for Windows, and one for the Eclipse plugin build of DevCPU.
.Png
Posted Mar 12, 13 · Last edited Mar 12, 13 by Herobrine
0  stars
1267 posts
+225 stars
Untagged users
Hear hear! Herobrine releases a dead thread from his/her/whomever's ego!
cool_signature.png
Posted Mar 15, 13
0  stars
Page
of 11
Login or Register
0x10c.com Feed
There are no entries in this feed
Announcement of