of 3

PC <-> DCPU communication

26 replies
169 posts
+34 stars
Untagged users
Dilbertfan wrote:
Kelmoir wrote:
Notch stated somewhere, that he really can't prevent that from happening...
At least I hope, that it is detectable, if there should suspicions arise for someone cheating that way. And yes, using the real pc should be prohibited.
But we will need to be some interface...let alone the Floppys. He won't make us write the programs once more ingame, I guess^^.
If HA can write a program that interfaces a real world PC with the DCPU, how would someone know? It would just be screenshotting the DCPU screen, taking dots and converting them into commands, then sending back macroed characters.
Dilbertfan wrote:
Ah, so you're not saying it would take a long time, just hacking a jar would be faster.
Yeah, we'll probably do whichever works best.
And no, reading the color of a screen and encoding that takes barely any time at all :l
Relatively speaking, it takes a lot of time to do that. It is much easier to monitor the network or detour a function this data is passed to and can be sent through. This is relatively easy to find, even in the jars have been obstructed and the networking encrypted. Other than the obvious caps that your method imposes in terms of data transmission rate (it seems like a hell of a lot of work for the DCPU)

Either way though, this is just plain cheating IMO. Notch should provide an interface for us to pass data through with a limit (in terms of speed and rate.) It would be monitored by the server to assure these limits aren't exceeded. If he does this, he can assure everyone has a fair chance in the game.
DarkCPU OS - Open Sourced Community Kernel
Posted Mar 5, 13 · Last edited Mar 5, 13 by Jeremy
+1  stars
 stars
1527 posts
+248 stars
Untagged users
jeremy wrote:
Dilbertfan wrote:
Kelmoir wrote:
At least I hope, that it is detectable, if there should suspicions arise for someone cheating that way. And yes, using the real pc should be prohibited.
But we will need to be some interface...let alone the Floppys. He won't make us write the programs once more ingame, I guess^^.
If HA can write a program that interfaces a real world PC with the DCPU, how would someone know? It would just be screenshotting the DCPU screen, taking dots and converting them into commands, then sending back macroed characters.
Dilbertfan wrote:
Ah, so you're not saying it would take a long time, just hacking a jar would be faster.
And no, reading the color of a screen and encoding that takes barely any time at all :l
Relatively speaking, it takes a lot of time to do that. It is much easier to monitor the network or detour a function this data is passed to and can be sent through. This is relatively easy to find, even in the jars have been obstructed and the networking encrypted. Other than the obvious caps that your method imposes in terms of data transmission rate (it seems like a hell of a lot of work for the DCPU)

Either way though, this is just plain cheating IMO. Notch should provide an interface for us to pass data through with a limit (in terms of speed and rate.) It would be monitored by the server to assure these limits aren't exceeded. If he does this, he can assure everyone has a fair chance in the game.
Thanks for saying that for me :)
Posted Mar 5, 13
0  stars
1267 posts
+225 stars
Untagged users
jeremy wrote:
Dilbertfan wrote:
Kelmoir wrote:
Dilbertfan wrote:

Notch can't do that, or at least won't do that for a very long time, mainly because he'd have to use tons of server power and his own effort to build a system like that.

I think we'll just have to wait and see. But I want a PC connected to my DCPU whether it's cheating or not.
cool_signature.png
Posted Mar 6, 13
0  stars
4694 posts
+1634 stars
Untagged users
So, is no one going to point out that this is the purpose of the planned network link? And that the network link was conceived specifically so that the server could guarantee control over the data rate?
.Png
Posted Mar 6, 13
+1  stars
 stars
427 posts
+169 stars
Untagged users
For all this talk of a network link, I have never actually seen a quote that says it will be implemented. Link?
oNu2voj.jpg
Posted Mar 6, 13
0  stars
433 posts
+296 stars
Untagged users
jeremy wrote:
Dilbertfan wrote:
Kelmoir wrote:
Dilbertfan wrote:

I wasn't speaking relatively, I was just saying that whichever works best, we can choose without a fundamental change in usage scenario due to speed differential.
blinkha5.gif
Posted Mar 6, 13
+1  stars
 stars
1267 posts
+225 stars
Untagged users
sanchezman wrote:
For all this talk of a network link, I have never actually seen a quote that says it will be implemented. Link?
Notch has stated that he won't be able to stop it.
cool_signature.png
Posted Mar 6, 13
0  stars
Page
of 3
Login or Register
0x10c.com Feed
There are no entries in this feed
Announcement of