0x10c Forum|Site Info
Page
of 14

Upcoming Room Editor Release (Reborn)

135 replies
4693 posts
+1631 stars
Untagged users
Some of you have seen me mention a room editor I made for myself by merging a decompiled leaked jar with code seen in the live stream. I've also stated that I wasn't going to share it because I didn't want to spoil a potential release from Notch. I know a lot of you are hoping for a release of some sort from Notch on June 1st. In case that doesn't happen, yesterday I decided to start from scratch with a much more extensive effort to capture as much of the code from the live stream as possible and integrate it with the leak to fully recreate the room editor as it existed at the end of the last live stream coding session. My existing version took quite a while to make and it only incorporates the basic editing capabilities. This will be a much more extensive effort.

On June 1st, if Notch doesn't release something, I will.

At the time of this posting, I've already logged about 8 hours of work into transcribing source code this time around. I'm being very thorough this time, even capturing blank and commented lines and reproducing the same formatting of the code (it's helpful). It takes a very long time to do this. Some parts of the code are only visible for a single frame of the live stream during a scroll bar drag, and there is tearing in the code pane's text area during such drags. -_- At the moment, I've captured every line of code visible in approximately one fourth of the four hours of video. The code constantly changes during the streams so I started with the second video this time to minimize the amount of rework on my part. When I get to the first video, I'll be able to ignore all portions of the code that I've already captured because they're guaranteed to be the same or older than what I already have.

I've downloaded the 1.5 Gigabytes of video so even if it's taken down, I'll still be able to finish, hopefully by June 1st. Once I get through all of the video, I'll have to fill in some blanks but it shouldn't be too bad. I was able to put something together with much less of the code the first time so I'm fairly confident a few missing pieces won't stop me from releasing the room editor as it existed at the end of the live streams.

I'd like to create at least two versions if I have time. In addition to the room editor replica, I'd like to include a version that incorporates the updated DCPU Notch released later and possibly some other features. If someone wants to update it to conform to the most recent spec, and include some hooks for hardware interaction, I'd love to include that and possibly add some theoretical hardware to it so there's something to play around with other than room editing. I welcome any ideas or suggestions.

Edit:
To clarify, I will neither charge money nor use an ad service. I have no desire to profit from this.

UPDATE:
If anyone has any recordings of the 0x10c live streams, please contact me. Only 4 hours of it are saved on twitch. The more I can get, the better the room editor will be. I'll even take screenshots, if they show the eclipse workspace. I'm running out of content. I have about 1 hour of video left.
.Png
Posted May 22, 12 · OP · Last edited Jul 10, 13 by Herobrine
+19  stars
 stars
119 posts
+6 stars
Untagged users
That is taking the initiative, I like it! At least something can be celebrated then :) Best of luck with the coding, if I were a coder I'd be glad to help. If you need anything else than that just let me know. Once again, great idea!
356Up.png
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
352 posts
+94 stars
Untagged users
Herobrine is truly a hero. How can anyone not love him?
Posted May 22, 12
+1  stars
 stars
M52
1752 posts
+150 stars
Untagged users
That is one hell of an effort you are making there. I applaud this effort. Even thinking of transcribing ALL that code makes me utterly, utterly sick.

And that is a compliment, though an odd one :p.
Remain Vigilant
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
893 posts
+837 stars
Untagged users
I was already excited when you dropped some clues in the chatbox, and I'm still excited now. We all want something tangible to play with!
.Png
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
23 posts
+12 stars
Untagged users
Oh. My. -error-
No wonder why I bow to Herobrine.
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
312 posts
+71 stars
Untagged users
I love this initiative. I was also hoping to start creating mods for 0x10^c in some fashion or other, so this "room editor" might be something worth at least checking out. I've used your earlier version of the "leaked version", so this sounds exciting in terms of the direction you've been going.

If you need help in terms of collaborative software development, I'm interested in working with you too... particularly in terms of trying to make the DCPU conform to the latest specification. I was hoping that Notch would have come to a decision on the floppy disc controller, where a similar "screw it" attitude needs to happen as well.
DCPU-16 Memory Map | DCPU-16 UART Spec | DCPU-16 - Disk Controller Spec
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
227 posts
+31 stars
Untagged users
While I hate your Character your one intelligent and I guess Courages non-linear existence to tackle this.
Herobrine wants my soul, but he can't have it ;)
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
2 posts
+1 stars
Untagged users
That's amazing, man. Good luck to you.
I just hope Notch is okay with this if the playable release date doesn't end up being June 1st.
Posted May 22, 12
+1  stars
 stars
M52
1752 posts
+150 stars
Untagged users
Uncreative wrote:
That's amazing, man. Good luck to you.
I just hope Notch is okay with this if the playable release date doesn't end up being June 1st.
I am pretty sure he will be okay with it.

I dont think he will take it like a serious risk when his supposed dead brother starts making his game...

OH SNAP.

:p
Remain Vigilant
Posted May 22, 12
0  stars
Page
of 14
Login or Register
0x10c.com Feed
There are no entries in this feed
Announcement of