0x10c Forum|Site Info
Page
of 2

New data from Notch on IRC

18 replies
28 posts
+20 stars
Untagged users
Hey everyone! I'm sure you'll enjoy this one! This is an excerpt of the communication taking place on the IRC with Notch right now:

Ingame Appstore/Appshare
<mozzfly> _notch will there be a sort of ingame appstore for code for dcpu-16
<_notch> i hope so, mozzfly
<_notch> ideally people would make their own, but I think I might cheat and build one in java instead of in DCPU-16 code..
<_notch> sharing software will be quite central
<_notch> oh, and floppy disks. THats how you carry programs around

Scavenge more efficient DCPUs!
<_notch> you will be able to find more efficient DCPUs laying around in abandoned ships
<_notch> one that does 112 khz at 94% power usage, for example, might be valuable

Ship's air supply, and leaks.
<Ronald_> How are you going to handle the ships atmosphere? it seems to be impossible to check for air leaks in the ships design
<_notch> I will make it impossible to design a ship that isn't air tight. You give it a bounding volume first, then dig out rooms after

DCPU versions
<spasm> _notch: are you planning on making smaller/larger dcpus? like a dcpu8 or something to put in drones that requires less power, but is obviously less capable?
<_notch> spasm: I'm thinking underclocking it. Set it to 10khz, and it uses 10% of the power
<_notch> or 1khz if you're only doing basic sensor stuff

Controlling Ship by DCPU
<kcj> _notch, Will the cpu be able to control the ship (thrust, direction and what not)?
<_notch> kcj: you control the engines, not the ship. The engines do push the ship around, however

Planet Types
<mozzfly> _notch how different will planets be. Will we have to travel so and so lightyears to get to a copy or replica of the planet
<_notch> as many planet types as I can think of

Planet Sizes
<SpacemanSpiff> and the size of the planets? realistic or exporable?
<_notch> realistic

Alive star systems with young stars? Few maybe.
<gaborsz> there won't be any young stars at all? maybe 1 in a 1000?
<_notch> Maybe extremely few young stars
<_notch> but I'm aiming at an explorable number of stars in total due to most being dead
<_notch> and by "explorable", I mean maybe 100k.

Naming explored objects?
<FCatalan> will you let discoverers name the systems (within reason?)
<_notch> I don't think the game will show any planet or star names at all unless you make your computer to do

Bit flipping and radiation.
<kcj> _notch, Will cosmic rays cause random bit-flipping in the DCPU's memory?
<_notch> kcj: Yes, but only in high radiation areas
<_notch> so not realistic, where it can happen anywhere

Passive stealth?
<Baughn> _notch: Can we also have a form of passive stealth through /not/ emitting lots of energy?
<+_notch> yes baughn that's the idea

Generator operation?
<Stushla> Will the generator run on any sort of fuel or just have a constant wattage which is consumed by components?
<+_notch> constant wattage

Power to cloak?
<Zackman94> _notch, will cloaking take up a lot of processing power? that might be a good way to limit it...
<_notch> no, but a lot of generator power

Communication and radios
<_notch> there will be radios. Several kinds. Normal ones work within your game session. Multiverse communicator arrays work across the multiverse. Hyperverse commuication arrays lets you talk to real world servers
<Ymgve> _notch: hyperverse? wouldn't that enable people to exploit real-CPU power?
<_notch> Ymgve: There's no way to stop that, and the communcation will be kind of slow

Data storage ingame
<_notch> no tape! floppies and hdds :)
<Baughn> HDDs?
<_notch> hard drives. 10 megs! WOW
<_notch> or whatever. Something tiny. :)

Ship building method
<Stushla> _notch, is building a ship going to work similiarly to GMod? i.e. objects have input/output that you connect up to things in various ways
<_notch> Sounds like a good way to do it, yes

Stuff about the financial part of 0x10c
<_ikke_> _notch: do you have any idea about monthly fees, or is that still to be considered?
<_notch> we did the math on cpus and such, and the monthly cost will be quite a lot lower than, say, wow
<_notch> there will be an initial cost to the game to discourage too many "free" accounts, but you'll get included multiverse time with that

<Mozzfly> _notch: Have you considered paying a 6month term type of thing for the players?
<Mozzfly> _notch: Instead of per month.
<_notch> mozzfly: Whatever model makes the most sense.

<_ikke_> _notch: Would you also pay fees for the alpha end beta?
<_notch> yes, ikke, just like minecraft

<kierenj> _notch - I'm interested in payment providers. I've looked around before and found the paypal API great (amazon is good for microtransactions but everyone needs an amazon account).. do you have anything marked for that?
<_notch> i have no idea about payment providers, that's up to the web team and our ceo.

<Caemyr> _notch: any range for mothly fee? like below/above 10 eu?
<_notch> Caemyr: I can't promise anything yet, but I'm aiming at below 10
<_notch> the more we can optomize the dcpu emulation, the cheaper the hosting can be as well, heh

<_notch> keep in mind all of these things can change

Thank you Notch, for your answers to the community.
Here's the full log!
Have a nice day! :)
Posted Apr 17, 12 · OP · Last edited Apr 17, 12
+10  stars
 stars
132 posts
+38 stars
Untagged users
I will add this to my news thread soon.

I'm at work at the moment so i simply don't have the time to do it instantly, but it will be there ! :)
My weapon of choice, my future ship - "The Graham's Number"

Fresh and daily updated news about our ships!
Posted Apr 17, 12
+1  stars
 stars
11 posts
+2 stars
Untagged users
"That wasn't me firin' mah lazor at you. It was the radiation I swear."
On a more serious note it would be cool if the DPCU could be radiation hardened, thus retreating to a highly irradiated area when under fire would be a creative way of defending oneself. An EMP blast could also be devastating.
Posted Apr 17, 12
0  stars
28 posts
+20 stars
Untagged users
Some more:

<_notch> you will be able to find more efficient DCPUs laying around in abandoned ships
<_notch> one that does 112 khz at 94% power usage, for example, might be valuable

<Baughn> _notch: Can we also have a form of passive stealth through /not/ emitting lots of energy?
<+_notch> yes baughn that's the idea

<Stushla> Will the generator run on any sort of fuel or just have a constant wattage which is consumed by components?
<+_notch> constant wattage

<Zackman94> _notch, will cloaking take up a lot of processing power? that might be a good way to limit it...
<_notch> no, but a lot of generator power

<_notch> there will be radios. Several kinds. Normal ones work within your game session. Multiverse communicator arrays work across the multiverse. Hyperverse commuication arrays lets you talk to real world servers
<Ymgve> _notch: hyperverse? wouldn't that enable people to exploit real-CPU power?
<_notch> Ymgve: There's no way to stop that, and the communcation will be kind of slow

<_notch> no tape! floppies and hdds :)
<Baughn> HDDs?
<_notch> hard drives. 10 megs! WOW
<_notch> or whatever. Something tiny. :)

<Stushla> _notch, is building a ship going to work similiarly to GMod? i.e. objects have input/output that you connect up to things in various ways
<_notch> Sounds like a good way to do it, yes

Added to OP
Posted Apr 17, 12 · OP · Last edited Apr 17, 12
0  stars
49 posts
+36 stars
Untagged users
This stuff is awesome! I had the same Idea - the more people keep track the better. I was doing it with screenshots but that is really a lot of work xD...
http://www.0x10cforum.com/forum/m/4932880/viewthread/2824408-notch-chats-about-gameplay

You probably have some Information that I don't so thanks!
Posted Apr 17, 12
+1  stars
 stars
28 posts
+20 stars
Untagged users
Skyhummel wrote:
This stuff is awesome! I had the same Idea - the more people keep track the better. I was doing it with screenshots but that is really a lot of work xD...
http://www.0x10cforum.com/forum/m/4932880/viewthread/2824408-notch-chats-about-gameplay

You probably have some Information that I don't so thanks!

I've seen your thread! It looks way better :)) I think the more the word is spread the better, so thank you too :)
Posted Apr 17, 12 · OP
+1  stars
 stars
11 posts
0 stars
Untagged users
gaborszollosy wrote:
Did anyone ever heard of the 'Hyperverse?'
Posted Apr 17, 12
0  stars
29 posts
0 stars
Untagged users
I'm so happy about the GMod thing, there are gonna be some crazy ships out there. As for the constant wattage I find that a little sad but hopefully we'll get some sort of other resource that needs to be collected like oxygen.
Posted Apr 17, 12
0  stars
29 posts
+1 stars
Untagged users
@daveboy2000
Yep, about 2 minutes ago
Quote:
misterfox0, on 16 February 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:
It looks like you're trying to play minecraft on your calculator. I suggest you get a computer.
Posted Apr 17, 12
0  stars
28 posts
+20 stars
Untagged users
Stushla wrote:
I'm so happy about the GMod thing, there are gonna be some crazy ships out there. As for the constant wattage I find that a little sad but hopefully we'll get some sort of other resource that needs to be collected like oxygen.

I hope that's the case..
Posted Apr 17, 12 · OP
0  stars
Page
of 2
Login or Register
0x10c.com Feed
There are no entries in this feed
Notices