Page
of 12

"Are you a programmer?" Poll

113 replies
17 posts
+6 stars
Untagged users
Hey everyone!

There doesn't seem to be a General forum for the game, so this seemed to be the closest. Also polls are disabled in this forum, which puts a damper on things, but here it is. I did a few searches and waded through pages of search results but there does not seem to be any similar thread.

I'm very interested in seeing what kind of percentages the current fanbase is at. From what I've seen there seems to be a lot of both.

Are you a programmer?

If yes, have you ever programmed at a low level (such as C or Assembly)? Are you interested in programming for this game?

If you're not a programmer, are you willing to learn for this game? What makes you interested in this game if not programming?

I'll answer my own questions as an introduction. I mentioned a lot in my introduction already if you're interested.
Zalgryth wrote:
I'm taking Software Engineering Technology at Conestoga College (Canada). A lot of the courses I took taught the fundamentals of writing an OS for small platforms such as this. I did a lot of embedded development.

In short, I've done a ton of C and quite a lot of Assembly on embedded platforms and simulators. I'm extremely interested in making software for the game, including writing a small operating system. I learned a whole lot I thought I'd never find a good use for, and this seems like a great opportunity to use what I've learned to make awesome things.

Results - Pie Charts
0zWtt.png
Qei6x.png

Results - Other data:
14 users responded that they are programming professionally. (Previous: 6. Difference: 8)
14 users responded that they are currently in post-secondary for programming-related courses. (Previous: 8. Difference: 6)
6 users responded that they have a programming-related degree/diploma. (Previous: 2. Difference: 4)

Total: 82 responses.(Previous: 41. Difference: 41)

Currently at revision 2.
Previous data sets:

Now it's your turn! I hope this wall of text has not made everyone avert their attention elsewhere. :d

-Zal
Posted Apr 5, 12 · OP · Last edited Apr 9, 12
+2  stars
 stars
773 posts
+179 stars
Untagged users
I have a Bachelor's in Computer Engineering and a Master's in Electrical and Computer Engineering and I am currently a programmer. I have programmed in multiple languages from machine code (designed a processor, but no assembler), assembly, C, and more. I might program in the game, but I'm undecided.
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
132 posts
+32 stars
Untagged users
Although I've tried it before, I essentially have no experience in programming- mainly because I have had no goal before now. I'm currently finding resources to get a basic bit of experience in it now, though. So- I am not a programmer, but intend to learn for this game.
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
55 posts
+4 stars
Untagged users
if c++ counts...
gb-25f1.gif
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
15 posts
+4 stars
Untagged users
I am obtaining my Bachelors in Computer Science at the University of Arizona. I am currently enrolled in a course where we are learning assembly with a 32 bit MIPS assembler which I think is kind of fun. You can do the craziest things with such a low level language, and I am super excited to see what others and I do!
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
20 posts
+8 stars
Untagged users
I'm in highschool going to the Tech Center of Dupage to pick up game design and development, I currently specialize in XNA, (C#) but I'm still far from good. I'm hoping one of these helps the other. :p Most definitely learning from this.
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
7 posts
0 stars
Untagged users
I would consider myself a programmer, however, the problem is that I only know C#/XNA, and trying to learn a new language usually doesn't last long since I invariably lose track because of other commitments. I will be trying very hard, at least, as soon as notch has his compiler built, to learn whatever language is necessary.
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
158 posts
+29 stars
Untagged users
PDP11/70, Z80, 8086, TI DSP6200 - I've tried all these assemblers. And for first three wrote more than 10000 lines of code. But it was long time ago... Now I sometimes write short pieces of 80386 code - just for fun. So this DCPU looks like a tasty cake :)
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
20 posts
+1 stars
Untagged users
I am definitely a programmer. Already experimenting with the DCPU.

Ap0the0sis, my assembly experience is also in MIPS.

I'm curious how the balance between programmers and non-programmers will play out. Too much of an advantage, and people who can't program won't enjoy the game... but too little and it wouldn't be worth the effort (not that that would stop everyone).
tKeJe.png
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
7 posts
+2 stars
Untagged users
Working on my bachelor's degree in computer science. I took an introductory computer architecture class a few quarters ago that covered something called the LC-3, which is pretty similar to the DCPU. I thought it was cool, and I'm looking forward to writing stuff for this game. :d
Posted Apr 5, 12
0  stars
Page
of 12
Login or Register
0x10c.com Feed
There are no entries in this feed
Announcement of